Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Zimba

This woman is a nurse that works at Zimba Mission Hospital in the Maternal Child Health Clinic - She is extremely passionate about Jesus and caring for her patients.

Praise the Lord for a great ending experience at Zimba Mission Hospital.

On Monday, Janna and I were in the Maternal Child Health Clinic for the morning. We listened to the instructors teach about safe motherhood (all in Tonga). Then we assisted in doing a pre-natal assessment. The morning was very good.
During the afternoon, we went to lab to see what kind of work we could do. We did a lot of finger sticks for rapid malaria testing and unfortunately did not get the chance to do a blood draw. Since there was not much going on in the front of the lab, I decided to see the kind of tests that Watson was working on. I enjoyed this part of the lab because we were working with samples and getting results. The two main tests that we ran were CD4 counts and Creatinine.
Overall, Monday was a great experience and
I learned a lot. Praise the Lord for an uplifting experience.

Tuesday -
We were planning on going out into the village and doing a immunization clinic with the Maternal Child Health Clinic, but after waiting an hour, we found out that there was not enough funding for the fuel to get to the villag
e and back. Janna and I were a little disappointed at first because we really wanted to go out and help with the immunizations.
The next thing we tried was the Dental Clinic.
We got to see the Dentist pull one tooth. Then he asked us to clean his supplies while he went to go get more lidocaine. After about 15 minutes he came back and said that they were out of lidocaine and that he was not going to be doing any more procedures the rest of the day. So dental clinic was out...
We talked with our Clinical Instructor Lisa, and while we were trying to figure out what to do next, the thought came to mind that I am not here for myself. I am here to serve, so I wanted to know where we could best serve the people at Zi
mba. After brainstorming a little longer, we decided to go back to lab to see if we could draw a few labs. Unfortunately, there were no labs to be drawn. Then we went to the Male/Female Wards to see if there was anything that we could do to help. The nurse said that she needed two IVs started. So I did the first one and then Janna did the second one. Once we completed those two, the nurse told us that another patient being admitted needed one also. This happened a few times. So, Janna and I both got the chance to do 3 IV starts each. What a great experience, and encouraging (especially since we didn't blow any of the veins) YAY!
After lunch we thought that the place that needed the most help was in the Pharmacy. Janna and I have spent two other afternoons in the pharmacy, so we knew pretty much what had to be done. We enjoy this time of counting the pills and labeling the bags because we can help serve in such a simple way. Sometimes it gets boring counting to a certain number 50 times and packing all of the bags, but again, I know that I am not here for my comfort, but to serve.

This is a picture of Janna and I counting pills :)
Unfortunately, this was the last time that we will be at Zimba Mission Hospital. Looking back on this experience, I do not think that I would trade any of it, even though some of the days were extremely rough. I got to see God work in so many ways and I experienced his strength and love in new ways.

Thanks again for all your prayers.
I am not sure what the next few days hold, but I look forward to what God is going to be doing!

1 comment:

  1. Keri, the first time your dad ever saw me I was counting and bagging pills for Dr. Dressler. I was in front of the window and he was watching me from the waiting room. I think counting pills is in your DNA! I'm so glad you are having such a rewarding experience, and that you have a servants heart. Only one month and you will be home! I miss you and love you very much. momma

    ReplyDelete